I just spent one of the most amazing weekends of my life with some of my best friends. It was a guys weekend that far surpassed my expectations. The event was in celebration of my best friend’s 40th birthday and the setting was a remote west Texas ranch.
These are my personal reflections and takeaways.
- Life isn’t about how much wealth you can accumulate but rather about how much you can use what you have to bless and serve others.
- Boys, both young and old, need time to explore, to push themselves, to adventure, and to be together. It makes them come alive.
- The fruit of great leadership is truly an awesome sight to behold.
- Connections and relationships are far more important than I ever thought.
- I’ve got at least two more gears that I’ve yet to find and at 40 I still have time.
- Regain my physical strength.
- Sleep apnea sucks and has to go.
- Allow Christ to restore my spiritual strength.
- Write the book.
- Teach the model.
- Put to use the God given connections.
- Talk with my friends at least once a month.
- Allow my boys to be dangerous.
- Foster a sense of adventure for my family.
- My buddy is an incredibly gifted leader with more influence that I realized. I’m so stinking proud of him.
- Circle tracking a side by side on the granite floor of an active river is exhilarating.
- Guys really do bond over shared activities. Kayak up a river together and you become brothers.
- I actually made it up and back on the 5 mile kayak trip with a bunch of military bad-asses and I beat a bunch of them up the river. I may be fat and out of shape but I’ve still got something in the tank.